Tuesday, October 5, 2010

And then there was light….


Ok, so lately I’ve been on a kick to redo my bedroom and I have been desperate for  some new lamps in the room.  The last few years I have been using some left over lamps that I had in college, and they were long overdue to be tossed.  Now typically I don’t like things matchy matchy, but I do think that matching bedside lamps can help anchor a bed room.  This is not always a rule!  I’ve seen some great rooms with different bedside lamps, its always a matter of personal taste!
When I started looking around for some ideas I originally thought that I might might do something like this.


image
While I liked the idea of having my bedside tables free I just couldn’t find anything that I loved at a price I was willing to pay.  And because I couldn’t wire a lamp into the wall of my apartment, my selection was even more limited by the fact that it had to be a plug in.  The above is about $120, and while that is not terrible for a wall lamp  I just didn’t love it enough!
Hmmmm…….now what to do……
Then I saw this at TjMaxx


lamp
It was this awful bright 80’s brass with a drum shade that looked slightly yellowed almost with age.  While I HATE 80’s brass and would never have looked at these something caught my eye, and that was a price tag of $10.00…..wait $10.00 for a working lamp!  Oh AND they had TWO!  Perfect!
Next I went to one of my favorite online fabric stores and ended up with all this….20101005_13 


A little spray paint, fabric, and glue later I ended up with two brand new lamps for approximately  $18 apiece and they both looked a little something like this. 


20101005_5





20101005_9




20101005_6


So much better than that ugly brass and the price was just right.  Want to know what I did with the rest of my fabric?  Keep checking back to find out!

I've got a little giveaway going on....enter here!

Visit thecsiproject.com

13 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I'm really bad at seeing potential in not-so-pretty pieces, this post is so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Natalie!
    Believe it or not I almost didn't buy these lamps either. They were really REALLY ugly in all their 80's brass glory! But decided that if I did one and still didn't like it I could return the other and only be out $10! So that really won me out in the end, and I'm so glad I did keep them because I love the way they turned out! Sometimes you just have to go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love. love. love. the lamp. I have a bit of a spray paint obsession myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kelly! I know spray paint is the BEST! I even refinish furniture with it sometimes! Just checked out your blog, you have some great DIY projects! I'll be checking out your blog often!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That turned out awesome! Love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always on the lookout for fantastic lamps (without the ridiculous price tags) and yours are FABULOUS! That fabric is amazing...

    http://loveallthingsbrightandbeautiful.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. SWOON! I love that fabric on your new lampshade! You did a great job! I hate brass, but it looks fabulous now! LOVE THIS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, I LOVE the fabric you chose! And those lamps are so unique and I love that, too! Great job!
    I'd love for you to join my link party going on now! alittleknickknack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, what an interesting lamp! definitely not something you see every day, and you did a great job with it!

    www.thecapeonthecorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE your lamp redo ... the fabric is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great lamp redo! I love the colors in the fabric you chose!! I found you at the CSI Project. I'm lamp #41. :) I'd love it if you stopped by to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE the transformation. Such a cute lamp!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think! Thanks for reading!

~xoxo a blonde ~

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...