Thursday, August 11, 2011

Stripes & Frogs oh my!



So I told you all I was working on a fun little sewing project this week, one that I had planned on finishing ohhh........ about six months ago.
  My sister had asked me to make my nephew's baby bedding for his room and all I ever got around to finishing was this baby blanket and this smaller version. 
Well, the little fellow is now around the six month old mark and I thought it was about time to actual finish everything else!  Don't judge me to harsh!  I know I should have finished it sooner, but the little fella has another set and is just now starting to sleep in his own room anyway.
I also couldn't get enough of him on my time off!   So do you blame me for not getting around to getting everything done!?

Anyway the first piece of baby bedding I completed the other day was the crib skirt.
Here's what I did....
Washed and ironed all fabric, it'll make it much easier to sew when it's pressed really well!
With an inexpensive piece of muslin or any cheap fabric that you have on hand, measure and cut to 28"x51", this will become the deck on the skirt.  You know the part where the mattress rests!
Now the skirt I made was flat with just one pleat in the center of both long sides, but you can add more length for a ruffly one if you want!
I cut two pieces of fabric 51"x 13" these will be each long side,  and two shorter pieces 28"x13".
The longer pieces I then cut in half and inserted a scrap of fabric I had that measured, 10"x 13".  This became my pleat.   Before I did that however I took all my pieces and did a quick zigzag stitch along all the edges, I did this first so I wouldn't have to wrestle with a bunch on fabric at the end  to finish off all the edges!  It's so much easier to do this first!!
Unless you have a serger....... and in that case I am extremely jealous!
The wardrobe department for theater in college had one, that was the only time I have actually used one.  That was such a dream to use, and is on my long term wish list!!



Press open all seams they lay much smoother!
After sewing the panel in the middle of each longer side I then ironed all my hems, I eyeballed it and didn't measure but they were all about a 1/4th of an inch.






Isn't this fabric fun!


Opps....the only little problem I ran into was breaking this little needle in two!!
That was an easy enough fix though, I just popped in a new one and got going!

Basically after measuring, cutting, and ironing the hems on all the fabric, all you have to do is sew all hems down, I don't pin them after ironing them.  Typically they all stay  put while I'm sewing, although if you have a finicky machine and it tends to pull on the fabric, you may want to pin all the hems down before sewing!
The old machine I used to sew on was like that!
But my new toy sews so beautifully!
I bought this one at the beginning of the year, and I LOVE it!!

Brother CS6000i Sew Advance Sew Affordable 60-Stitch Computerized Free-Arm Sewing Machine

Seriously it's SOOOO easy to sew with!!


Anywhooo,  back to the little sewing project.....Once all hems are sewed just pin and sew all fabric to the deck!  It's as easy as that!
Really the most time consuming part of this project was ironing all the hems!
Maybe I need a new iron......
huh something to think about I guess!
Since I don't have a crib to put this on to show you all, you will have to be satisfied with this little glimpse of the finished product!







I've dropped this and a few other things off at my sisters, so I will have pictures of everything out and about soon!  Well, it may be a week or so as she is going out of town, but soon after that!

So what do you think?! Pretty cute fabric for a little boys room right!?!  Have you all been sewing anything up lately?  Or is sewing not your thing?  Maybe you just haven't broken down and purchased a machine yet, if you haven't I soooo recommend the Brother Machine I mentioned earlier!  P.s. I'm not getting paid  or anything to promote this machine, just love it!
So let me know what you think!

25 comments:

  1. That is adorable! I love the patterns mixed together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, that is precious! I love the fun colors and the pattern you used. :)

    Thanks for joining my party. If you could please add a link back to me within your post, I would appreciate it since I am hosting your link. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love that fabric! Can't wait to see how it looks on the crib!
    I did some sewing last night too - started on some pillow cases for our living room re-vamp! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! I like the mix of patterns with the hidden fabric in the pleats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She better get her butt back in town fast because the curiosity is killing me!! This was like a little teaser! haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man a really need to learn how to sew, but you did an awesome job! Great blog, am a new follower :).

    http://marleeindebt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hop'in by from 'Boost My Blog Friday Blog Hop'. I'm following your blog now, wont you please come and follow me back?? ~KM

    Krafty Max Originals

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so talented. I can't wait to see pics of the baby's room.

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO adorable! I love this idea. Also your newest follower- hope you'll visit and follow back!!



    I'd love for you to link up to our "Crafts for Under Twenty-Somethings" Thursdays this week! It's a blog hop specifically for kids and teens ideas, so your post would be perfect! I'll hope you'll come link up this Thursday.

    bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com


    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the fabric choice! This is super cute! I am your newest follower, visiting from Craft-o-maniac blog hop. Hope you can stop by soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your fabric choice is adorable. I love it! I am your newest follower following from Craft-o-maniac blog hop. Hope you can stop by soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have the same machine! I bought it for Christmas and I love it too. I really want to use the quilt foot but haven't had the time yet. Love the fabric too, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so happy I found your Blog! Love this! I need to make one for my baby girl. We would be so happy if you would come and link up at our first ever link party, Crafty Lassie Tuesdays. http://sewstylishboutique.blogspot.com/ Thanks Rose and Heather

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE the frog material. My little girls would just adore it. You did such a great job.....almost inspired this "not so good" with a sewing machine to give it a try! thanks. I just started a new link party on my blog today and I'd be honored if you'd join up with this. http://caribbeanmissionarywife.blogspot.com/2011/08/t-time-21-and-link-up.html
    have a lovely day, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks so cute! I love the pleats with the different fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea. I would love for you to stop by My Dream Canvas. Take care Anu

    ReplyDelete
  17. This turned out so cute! I love the inset pleats with the different fabric. A crib skirts is one of those things I never got around to making. :o/
    I would love to have you link this to my baby week linky party this week.
    Baby Week Linky

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much for linking up!
    We are going to keep this going every Tuesday...
    Everyone is welcome to join in on the fun, so invite your friends.
    :0) Heather & Rose

    ReplyDelete
  19. So far, so good! Love the fabric you chose! Thank you for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. how cute love how they compliment each other and this for sure says fun come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. so cute! i need to do this for my son's room!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What fun, bright fabric, love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cute crib skirt, Ashley! I love your new machine...I seriously need an upgrade soon...saving up!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely patterns and bright colours! Your new machine is wonderful too :) Thanks for linking to BC Good Life Wednesdays

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is so DARLING!! Would love it if you would share this at my brand new turquoise lovin' party! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2011/08/turquoise-lovin-1.html

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think! Thanks for reading!

~xoxo a blonde ~

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...